25 Mar Cake Smash Sessions
Cake smash sessions (or I’ve seen them called smash cakes, too), are a very fun way to celebrate a little one’s first birthday. I got the chance to do my first one with Brooke just this month, and she was perfect for me to practice on! She loved her cake, which was made by her mom, and dug into it right away. We had a blast :)
We started off with the clean shots, of course. Then, the fun began with the cake. We finished up with a bath – there was no other way this girl was getting clean!
I would love to do more of these sessions. Here are some helpful tips if you’re planning on having a cake smash session:
- Bring lots of wipes – lots and lots of wipes :)
- Bring a washcloth, towel, soap, and a portable bathtub if you have one. It made clean up MUCH easier.
- Use a light-weight icing like whipped topping. I’ve heard that some babies like it better, and I’ve also heard that cleanup with it is a bit easier.
- No black or brown icing! Avoid using too much food coloring in general – lighter colors are easier to clean up.
- Plan for a good time of day when your baby has just woken up and is ready for a new adventure!
- Bring a garbage bag for taking the smash cake outfit home.
- Plan on an outfit that can easily be washed and isn’t a big loss if it won’t come clean.
- Bring extra outfits for pictures before and for traveling home.
- Bring a smartphone or other device for video taping!
If you’re planning on having a cake smash session with Erin Niehenke Photography, legally, I cannot provide the cake for you. But I can certainly make some recommendations on great places to order from! Christa Miller made a wonderful cake for her daughter (the one in the pics!). Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in ordering a cake from her. She does great work!
Sessions can take place indoors or outdoors. Indoor sessions are $200, outdoor sessions are $150. Sessions can be expected to take 1-2 hours, and you will receive 20-30 edited images in an online gallery. Web-sized digitals are included and all prints are a-la-carte.
Cake smash photos also make great birthday invitations! Please make sure to schedule with enough time for editing, creating your card, and ordering – this requires at least 2-3 weeks.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.